The Department of Classics awards a Travel Award for Classics Department Semple Scholars to support participation in a program related to Classical Studies.
• Declared Classics or Classical Civilization Major
• Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, both overall in the University and in Classics courses
• Must be taking Greek or Latin at the 3000 level or higher
• Must be second year or above in major
• Funds must support participation in a program of study: a language program, a travel program, a field school for course credit, or the like.
We especially encourage students who are planning to study abroad for a semester to apply. Recommended programs include the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome (globaled.duke.edu/programs/rome_ICCS), and the College Year in Athens (www.cyathens.org). Award decisions will take into consideration the student’s academic record and the value of the program for the student’s education.
HOW TO APPLY:
Students must submit an application packet including:
1. A letter of application describing the program, your goals in studying abroad, and the benefits to your education. Include a brochure for the program or print out the description of the program from its website. Include the website address in your letter.
2. Information about your application status. If you have been accepted, include a copy of the acceptance letter.
3. Budget and a statement of other funding for which you have applied.
4. Two letters of reference. One must be from a Classics faculty member.
These should be submitted directly to the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Application should be submitted to the Classics main office (410 Blegen) as a single packet, addressed to Director of Undergraduate Studies, University of Cincinnati, Department of Classics, PO Box 210226, Cincinnati, OH 45221.
Recipients are required to submit a report on their activities by the second week of the semester following the travel.