Catherine K Baker
Catherine Baker received her B.A. from Brandeis University and her M.A. from the Institute of Fine Arts, NYU. She is a Ph.D. candidate in Classical Archaeology, focusing on Roman Archaeology. Her interests include urbanization, imperialism, and colonialism in the Roman world, particularly during the Middle Republican period, as well as archaeological theory and approaches to identity. Catherine has participated in survey in Turkey and excavations in Italy, including the Pompeii Archaeological Research Project: Porta Stabia.
Catherine is currently (AY 2014-2015) the Graduate Instructor at the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome.
- B.A., Brandeis University, 2006 (Classics, Classical Archaeology and Ancient History, Anthropology).
- M.A., Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, 2009 (History of Art and Archaeology).
- M.A., University of Cincinnati, 2012 (Classics).
Presentations & Lectures
- The Perizoma Group: Informed Attic Vases for an Etruscan Clientele. Cleveland Symposium, Cleveland Museum of Art and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH. 02/26/2010.
- Early Roman Colonies in a Postcolonial World. Global Lives Conference, Stony Brook University, Cultural Analysis and Theory Graduate Student Conference, Stony Brook University, NY. 10/13/2012.
- The Life Cycle of a Roman Amphora: Repurposed Amphorae and Pompeian Infrastructure. Archaeological Institute of America Annual Meeting – 2013, Seattle, WA. 01/05/2013.
- Colony as City: Latin Colonization from an Urban Perspective. Rebuilding the City: New Approaches to Ancient Urbanism; Graduate Conference of the Department of Classics, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX. 04/12/2014.
Experience & Service
- 08-2014-05-2015, Graduate Instructor, Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome.
- 2007-2008, Aphrodisias Regional Survey Project, New York University.
- 2009-2009, The Gabii Project, University of Michigan.
- 2009-2014, Pompeii Archaeological Research Project: Porta Stabia, University of Cincinnati.
- -LATN-1011 ELEMENTARY LATIN 1 .
- -LATN-1012 ELEMENTARY LATIN 2 .