Deparment of Classics
410 Blegen Library
PO Box 210226
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0226
Phone | (513) 556-3050
Fax | (513) 556-4366
Andrew J Connor
Andrew Connor is a PhD candidate in Ancient History. He received a BA in History from the Honors Tutorial College of Ohio University and an MA in Ancient History from the University of Cincinnati. From 2011-2012, he was the Burt Hodge Hill Fellow at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. His dissertation explores the economic underpinnings of religion in Roman Egypt, especially in Tebtunis and Soknopaiou Nesos, two villages in the Fayum region. His interests include documentary papyrology, Egypt, ancient and modern, the practice and rhetoric of eastern religions in the Greek and Roman world, mental mapping processes, and from time to time, Hellenistic and Roman Corinth.
Presentations & Lectures
- Andrew Connor. The Impiety of the Persians?: Herodotus and the Creation of an "Impious East". International and Intercultural Relations in the Near and Middle East from Antiquity to the Present, University of Toronto. 03/05/2009.
- Andrew Connor. Superstition and Tyranny: Herodotus, the Persians, and the ‘Impious Persian’. Sumer to Caesar Graduate Student Symposium, Cincinnati, OH. 03/31/2009.
- Andrew Connor. "Beset on All Sides by Peasants": Making the Worker Invisible on the Roman Villa. Archaeological Institute of America 2010 Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 01/07/2010.
- Andrew Connor. Loaves' Labors Lost: Loving the Dead in Herodotus. CAMWS Annual Meeting, Grand Rapids, MI. 04/03/2011.
- Andrew Connor. οὐ κατὰ νόμον: In bed with Herodotus' tyrants. Sumer to Caesar Graduate Student Symposium, Hebrew Union College. 03/30/2011.
- Andrew Connor. “Small Change: Corinth and the End of Autonomous Bronze Coinage in the Corinthia in the 2nd century BCE". Archaeological Institute of America 2013 Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington. 01-2013.
- Andrew Connor. ‘Not War, but Man-Eating’: P.Oxy. 42.3065 and the Language of Chaos. Classical Association of the Middle West and South Annual Meeting, Iowa City, Iowa. 04-2013.
- Andrew Connor. Royal Temple Land?: Temple Land Management Strategies in the Ptolemaic Fayum. 27th International Congress of Papyrology, Warsaw, Poland. 08-2013.
Experience & Service
- 15-CLAS-238 GRK LAT ELE MEDTECH.
- 15-LATN-101 ELEMENTARY LATIN.
- 15-LATN-102 ELEMENTARY LATIN.
- 15-LATN-103 ELEMENTARY LATIN .
- 15-CLAS-101 INTRO ANC HISTORY.
- 15-CLAS-102 INTRO ANC HISTORY.
- CLAS 2001, Ancient Athletics.
- CLAS 1011, Greek History.