Emily C Egan
Emily Catherine Egan is a Ph.D. candidate specializing in Aegean prehistory. She received her B.A. from Brown University and holds an M.Phil. from the University of Cambridge and an M.A. from UC. She has undertaken archaeological fieldwork in Italy, Turkey, Armenia, Jordan, Cyprus, and Greece, where she is currently involved in the study of Mycenaean wall paintings at the Palace of Nestor and at Petsas House, Mycenae. Her professional interests include wall painting iconography, visual perception theory, and ritual performance and palatial space in the Bronze Age Mediterranean.
- B. A., Brown University, 2002 (Old World Archaeology and Art; Classics).
- M. Phil., University of Cambridge, 2005 (Archaeological Theory and Method; Mesopotamian Archaeology).
- M. A. , University of Cincinnati, 2008 (Classics; Aegean Bronze Age Archaeology).
- Regular Member, American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 2009.
- Associate Member, American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 2010.
- "Molded Elegance" chapter on the stucco revetment of the Petra Great Temple in Petra, Jordan to appear in Volume 3 of the Petra Great Excavations Series (forthcoming)
- "Petra Rediscovered" review of the American Museum of Natural History's exhibit: Petra: Lost City of Stone, in Archaeology Magazine (March/April 2004)
Presentations & Lectures
- (12-2006). Archaeological Evidence for the Trojan War. Covington Latin High School, Covington, KY.
- with Shannon LaFayette Digging Up Homer, UC Classics Outreach.
- Digging Up Homer, UC Classics Outreach.
- (02-2009). The Basics of Archaeological Illustration . Berea College, KY
- Late Bronze Age Iconography and the Trojan War. Ohio Classical Conference, Cincinnati, OH. 11-2006.
- Vase Painting as Wall Painting: A Knossian Case Study. Archaeological Institute of American Annual Meeting , Philadelphia, PA. 01-2009.
- Cut from the Same Cloth: the Textile Connection Between Palace Style Jars and Knossian Wall Painting. Aegaeum Conference (KOSMOS), Copenhagen, Denmark. 04-2010.
- A Bull Among the China? A Fragmentary Wheel-Made Figure From the Palace of Nestor. AIA Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA. 01-2012.
- Working within the Lines: Artists’ Grids and Painted Floors at the Palace of Nestor . AIA Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA. 01-2013.
- From Permanent to Portable: The Perpetuation of Painted Landscapes at Final Palatial Knossos. Chrostires, Akrotiri, Thera. 05-2013.
- with H. Brecoulaki. Marine Iconography at the Palace of Nestor and the Emblematic Use of the Argonaut. Harvesting the Sea, Athens, Greece. 05/20/2014.
Honors & Awards
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Scholarship (2004-2005), 2004 to 2005.
- Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools Distinguished Masters Thesis Competition: Honorable Mention (2009), 2009.
- Emily Townsend Vermeule Fellowship, American School of Classical Studies at Athens (2009-2010), 2009 to 2010.
- Ione Mylonas Shear Fellowship, American School of Classical Studies at Athens (2010-2011), 2010 to 2011.
- Marion and Dorothy Rawson Fellowship, Department of Classics University of Cincinnati (2012) , 2012.
- UC Dean's Dissertation Completion Fellowship, 2014 to 2015.
Experience & Service
- 2008-2009, Instructor, University of Cincinnati, Classics Department.
- 2006-2014, Wall Painting Analyst and Database Coordinator, Hora Apotheke Reorganization Project , University of Cincinnati.
- 2007-2010, Trench Supervisor, Mycenae Lower Town Excavations, Dickinson College, PA.
- 2007-, Survey Team Member, Vorotan, Armenia, Brown University.
- 2007-, Teaching Assistant for the course "Archaeology of Egypt", University of Cincinnati, Classics Department.
- 2003-2004, Publications Assistant and Archaeological Illustrator, Brown University.
- 2001-2003, Trench Supervisor, Petra Great Temple Excavations in Petra, Jordan, Brown University.
- 2002-, Archaeological Illustrator, Excavations at Troy, Turkey, University of Cincinnati.
- 2000-, Field School Student, Anglo-American Project at Pompeii, University of Bradford.
- 2006-2008, Assistant Editor, NESTOR bibliographic resource, University of Cincinnati.
- 2012-2013, Pylos Roof Excavations Field Supervisor, .
- 2014-, Pylos Roof Excavations Wall Painting Analyst, .
- 2014-, Petsas House, Mycenae, .
- 15-CLAS-111 INTRO TO CLASS CIVH Classical and Hellenistic Greece.
- 15-CLAS-112 INTRO TO CLASS CIVH Rome.
- Early Greece, 15-CLAS-110: INTRO TO CLASS CIVH.
- 15-LATN-101 ELEMENTARY LATIN.