Kathryn J Gutzwiller
Office: 407 Blegen Library
Kathryn Gutzwiller holds an M.A. in Latin from Bryn Mawr College and a Ph.D. in classics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Her interests include Greek and Latin poetry, ancient gender studies, literary theory, and the interaction between text and image. She has published several books on Hellenistic poetry: Studies in the Hellenistic Epyllion (1981), Theocritus' Pastoral Analogies: The Formation of a Genre (1991), Poetic Garlands: Hellenistic Epigrams in Context (1998), and The Guide to Hellenistic Literature (2007). She edited a volume on a new collection of epigrams by Posidippus found on a papyrus, The New Posidippus: A Hellenistic Poetry Book (2005, rev. ed. 2008). She has served as a Director of the American Philological Association and as monograph editor of the APA's American Classics Series. Professor Gutzwiller has also received a number of grants, including an NEH, a Fellowship at All Souls College, Oxford, a Fellowship to the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, an ACLS Fellowship, and a Loeb Classical Foundation Grant. She was the 2001 recipient of the Charles J. Goodwin Award of Merit from the American Philological Association (that organization's highest scholarly award) for Poetic Garlands, has twice won the Gildersleeve Award for the best article in the American Journal of Philology, and received the 2002 Rieveschl Award for scholarly excellence at the University of Cincinnati.
- Ph.D, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison, 1977.
Her research has focused on the poetry of the Hellenistic period, ancient women writers, and the interaction of text and image. She is currently working on an edition and commentary for the epigrams of Meleager for Oxford University Press and an iconographical and literary study of four mosaics depicting scenes from Menender's comedy, recently discovered at ancient Antioch. Other recent publication interests include forgiveness in ancient drama, the rhetorical uses of the middle style in literature and art, the Aristotelian Peplos, Apelles and ecphrasis, Catullus and Greek epigram, and Hellenistic literary theory.
- American Council of Learned Societies. 2009
- Member, School of Historical Studies, Institute for Advanced Studies, Princeton. 2009
- Loeb Classical Library Foundation. 2008 to 2009.
- Visiting Fellow, All Souls College, Oxford. 2008
- NEH Fellowship, 2004 to 2005.
- Fellow of the Graduate School, University of Cincinnati. 2004 to to Present.
- University Research Council Grant, 2003
- University Research Council Summer Grant, 2000
- Semple Fund Summer Research Grant, 1991 to 2006.
- The Center for Hellenic Studies. 1986 to 1987.
- University Travel Grant, 1985
- University Research Council Grant, 1984
- Semple Fund Summer Research Grant, 1980 to 1984.
- (PI) Gutzwiller, Kathryn, The Poetics of Anthology: An Edition and Commentary for the Epigrams of Meleager, National Endowment for the Humanities. (FA-50138-04); $40,000.00. 09/01/2004 to 05/31/2005. Status: Closed.
- (PI) Gutzwiller, Kathryn, The Poetics of Anthology: An Edition and Commentary for the Epigrams of Meleager, American Council of Learned Societies. (SRS 005623); $60,000.00. 01/01/2009 to 12/31/2009. Status: Closed.
- (PI) Gutzwiller, Kathryn, The Poetics of Anthology: An Edition and Commentary for the Epigrams of Meleager, Loeb Classical Library Foundation. (SRS 005624); $30,000.00. 07/01/2008 to 06/30/2009. Status: Closed.
- (PI) Gutzwiller, Kathryn, Edition and Commentary for the Epigrams of Meleger, Institute for Advanced Study. (SRS 006028); $30,000.00. 01/05/2009 to 06/30/2009. Status: Closed.
- (2005) The New Posidippus: A Hellenistic Poetry Book, edited by K. Gutzwiller. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
(2008) Revised paperback edition.
- (1981) Studies in the Hellenistic Epyllion, in Beiträge zur klassischen Philologie, Heft 114. Meisenheim am Glan.
- (2007). A Guide to Hellenistic Literature. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
- (1998). Poetic Garlands: Hellenistic Epigrams in Context. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- (1991). Theocritus' Pastoral Analogies: The Formation of a Genre. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
Articles & Book Chapters
- (2012) “All in the Family: Forgiveness and Reconciliation in New Comedy,” in Ancient Forgiveness: Classical, Judaic, Christian, edited by Charles Griswold and David Konstan (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), pp. 48-75.
- (2011) "Apelles and the Painting of Language," Revue de Philologie 83 (2009, published 2011) 39-63.
- (2010) "Images poétiques et reminiscences artistiques dans les épigrammes de Méléagre," translated from English by Évelyne Prioux, in Métamorphoses du regard ancient, edited by Évelyne Prioux and Agnès Rouveret (Paris), pp. 67-112.
- (2010) “The Demon Mosquito,” ZPE 174: 133-38.
- (2010) “Literary Criticism,” in A Companion to Hellenistic Literature, edited by James J. Clauss and Martine Cuipers (Malden, MA, Oxford, and Chicester: Wiley-Blackwell), pp. 337-65.
- (2010) "Heroic Epitaphs of the Classical Age: The Aristotelian Peplos and Beyond," in Archaic and Classical Greek Epigram, edited by Manuel Baumbach, Andrej Petrovic, and Ivana Petrovic (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), pp. 219-49.
- (2007). "Forward,” in Stratone di Sardi, Epigrammi, by Lucia Floridi (Alessandrina: Orso), pp. ix-xiv.
- (2007) "The Paradox of Amatory Epigram," in Brill's Companion to Hellenistic Epigram, edited by Peter Bing and Jon Bruss (Leiden: Brill), pp. 313-32.
- (2006). "The Herdsman in Greek Thought," in Brill's Companion to Greek and Latin Pastoral, edited by Marco Fantuzzi and Theodore Papanghelis (Leiden/Boston: Brill), pp. 1-23.
- (2006). "The Bucolic Problem," Classical Philology 101: 380-404.
- (2006) "Learning and Love in the Epigrams of Meleager," in Syncharmata: Studies in Honour of Jan Fredrik Kindstrand, edited by Sten Eklund. Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis, Studia Graeca Upsaliensia 21., (Uppsala: Uppsala Universitet), pp. 67-85.
- (2005) "The Literariness of the Milan Papyrus, or ‘What Difference a Book?’," in The New Posidippus:A Hellenistic Poetry Book (Oxford: Oxford University Press), pp. 287-319.
- (2005) "Introduction," in The New Posidippus: A Hellenistic Poetry Book (Oxford: Oxford University Press), pp. 1-16.
- (2004) "Seeing Thought: Timomachus’ Medea and Ecphrastic Epigram," American Journal of Philology 125: 339-86.
- (2004) "Gender and Inscribed Epigram: Herennia Procula and the Thespian Eros," Transactions of the American Philological Association 134: 383-418.
- (2003). "Visual Aesthetics in Meleager and Cavafy." Classical and Modern Literature 32: 67-87.
- (2003). "Nikonoe’s Rainbow (Posidippus 6 Austin-Bastianini)," Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 145: 44-46.
- (2002-2003) "Meleager as Erotic Dolphin: A Reading of AP 12.52," Hermathena 173-74: 91-105.
Presentations & Lectures
- (10/19/2007). Writing Greek Commentaries Workshop, University of Minneapolis.
- (06/14/2007). Library Fund conference on “Library, Responsibility, and Forgiveness, San Francisco.
- (04/16/2004). Scholars and Poets: One Hundred Year of Scholarship on Hellenistic Poetry. Classical , St. Louis.
- (02/25/2008). Poetic and Artistic Imagery in the Epigrams of Meleager. Ohio State University.
- (11/16/2007). Seeing Love: Eros in Hellenistic Art and Epigram. University of Southern California.
- (03/01/2007). The Theory and Practice of Hellenistic Poetry. Emory University.
- (09/16/2006). Hellenistic Poetry and Aesthetic Theory. Workshop on Hellenistic Literature and , University of Michigan.
- (07/11/2006). Posidippus and Hellenistic Epigram Books. Oberseminar "Texte in Sammlungszusammenhängen" of the Internationales Diktorandenkolleg "Textualität in der Vormoderne", Ludwig Maximilians Universität, Munich.
- (02/25/2006). The Paradox of Amatory Epigram: Origins and Development. Charles Gordon MacKay Conference On "Creating the Hellenistic World", University of Edinburgh.
- (02/25/2006). The Paradox of Amatory Epigram: Origins and Development. Charles Gordon MacKay, Conference on "Creating the Hellenistic World" , University of Edinburgh.
- (07/25/2005). Hellenistic Literary Theory and Hellenistic Poetry. Joint Committee of the Greek and Roman Societies Triennial Conference, Cambridge.
- (07/08/2005). The New Posidippus Papyrus. Summer Papyrological Institute, Cincinnati.
- (04/08/2005). Heroic Epitaphs of the Classical Age: The Aristotelian Peplos and Beyond. Conference on Archaic and Classical Greek Epigram, University of Giessen.
- (12/22/2004). Meleager as Learned Poet and Psychologist of Love. University of Nijmegen, Netherlands.
- (12/14/2004). A New Epigram Papyrus and the Origins of Poetry Books. École Normale Supérieure and Institut National d’Histoire and l’Art, Paris.
- (12/10/2004). Visions érotiques dans les épigrammes de Méléagre. Université de Paris X, Paris.
- (12/02/2004). The Herdsman form Homer to Theocritus: Pastoral and Before. École Normale , Paris.
- (05/14/2004). Seeing Thought: Epigrams on Timomachus’ Medea. Leeds Classical Seminar on Epigram, University of Leeds.
- (03/29/2004). Implications of Bucolic. University of California at Berkeley.
- (10/15/2003). Meleager as poeta doctus. University of Cincinnati.
- (03/26/2003). Posidippus on Statuary. University Lecture, University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- (05/22/2008). Apelles and the Painting of Language. Conference on Ecphrasis , Rethymnon, Crete.
- (08/21/2008). Meleager at the Intersection of Worlds. Conference on Belonging and Isolation in the Hellenistic World, Waterloo, Ontario.
- (10/15/2008). Ethnicity and Genre in Meleager. Classics Seminar, Cambridge, UK.
- (02/06/2009). Ethnicity and Genre in Meleager. Classics Seminar, Bryn Mawr College.
- (02/19/2009). Apelles and the Painting of Language. Columbia University.
- (03/13/2009). Meleager and Roman Satire. CUNY.
- (05/08/2009). Callimachus’ Hecale as a mega poiema. Center for Hellenic Studies, Washington DC.
- (07/03/2009). Callimachus’ Hecale as a mega poiema. Internationale Tagung: Das Epyllion , Gattung ohne Geschichte?, Zurich.
- (03/20/2010). Contests of Style and Uses of the Middle in Canon Making. L’Héroïque et le Champêtre: La théorie rhétorique des styles appliquée aux arts entre modèle analytique et schème explicatif, Paris.
- (01/05/2011). “New Menander Mosaics and Papyri” . Presidential Panel, APA, San Francisco.
- (03/14/2011). Recovering the Comic Poet Menander: The Intersection of Papyri and Mosaics. Watkins Lecture, DePauw University.
- (03/15/2011). Seeing Love: Eros in Hellenistic Art and Epigram. Watkins Lecture, DePauw University.
- (07/03/2011). Anacreon, Hellenistic Epigram, and the Anacreontic Poet. International Conference on the Anacreontea, Zurich.